Saturday, July 5, 2008

Firecracker, firecracker! Boom, boom, boom!

Cheer update: my Mom told me that yes, the words were "Girls got the sexy legs..." but I never said sexy. I would always say "Girls got the SASSY legs..." Much more age appropriate! :)
That's the name of a little cheer I used to do when I was a little girl. I remember I had this forest green knit short skirt and short sleeved sweater and I liked to pretend it was my cheerleading uniform. My cheer went like this:
Firecracker, firecracker! Boom, boom, boom!
Boys got the muscles.
Teachers got the brains
Girls got the sexy legs and they win the game!
Yeah!!!!!!!

WHAT?! Mom, where did I get a cheer like that?! :) And why do I still remember it?
I guess it explains why in high school I thought it was a good idea to wear little underpants under our cheerleading skirts that said RAMS on them.

We had a fun 4th of July yesterday. Eventually. Andrew is really not sleeping well and I was really, really tired. And cranky. So was Brian and so was Jackson. We had planned to do something fun during the afternoon but both kids needed to just sleep so we stayed at home until about 4:00. Then we headed to Wamego (little town about 20 min. from Manhattan) to watch their parade and fireworks. We'd been told the fireworks there were fantastic. The parade - in my opinion - needed 5 good marching bands (they didn't have any marching bands at all) but Jackson LOVED it! It was full of tractors and cars and horses. It was a glaring reminder that I don't live in the city anymore. It made me kind of sad. I am still getting used to the abundance of cowboy hats and t-shirts that say things like, "Your shirt may say princess but your face says troll." Things like that. Manhattan isn't like that - this was a much smaller town. I don't mean to sound offensive or anti-small-town. I was just homesick yesterday. We usually spend the 4th with family on the lake or river, so I was lonely. Anyway...watching Jackson love the parade made me feel better. Then we walked around and played at the park. We avoided all carnival rides because they looked like they were one spin away from coming completely unhinged. They set off the fireworks in Wamego at the baseball diamonds so there is nice, mowed grass all around them where people can sit and there are no trees to obstruct the view. The fireworks were incredible! It was thirty minutes of grand-finale fireworks! By the end I thought I might have a seizure because they were going off so fast and furious. The sky was just full of them. It was awesome! The kids loved it. We had hats over their ears and then covered their ears with our hands because I was worried about the noise. I was glad I had because my ears kind of hurt last night on the way home. Andrew actually fell asleep for a few minutes towards the end. (So WHY can't he sleep at home?!?!) Jackson covered one eye through the whole thing because it was too bright.

Today we are hanging out waiting to go get my Dad in Topeka. We have a week full of visitors and I can't wait! My Dad is here until Tuesday and on Monday my Mom and good friend Peg and her 3 year old are coming. They will be here until Thursday. We are excited to show them Manhattan and Jackson is SO excited to have Grandma and Grandpa here!

Enjoy the pictures from our day yesterday!

No comments: