Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Runners, take your mark.

I guess the awesome running pants my sister gave me for Christmas couldn't stay lounge pants forever. I hit the pavement again on Saturday after an embarrassingly long break. I hadn't gone on a real run since the week after Thanksgiving. It started snowing and icing and just being too cold in Kansas right after that. I cannot and will not run on a treadmill anymore. It's too boring and too tedious and hurts too much. I have to run outside. Then I got sick in early January and that went on forever and it remained cold and icy and snowy. It's finally teasing of spring in Manhattan so I got out and tried to run on Saturday afternoon. This was the day after a really fun dinner party called, "A little dinner and a lot of chocolate." The hosts are great cooks and made potato leek soup, french onion soup, 3 different salads, and a variety of amazing and rich chocolate dessert: chocolate run pie, mexican chocolate cake, grasshopper pie, fudge-caramel-walnut brownies, chocolate chip cookies. Yum. And oh yeah, lots of really good wine that was paired with each item. We had a lot of food and a lot of wine. Needless to say, Saturday's run was not my best. Sunday was better. Yesterday's was even better than that, and today's was almost great. Today I went 2.4 miles on relatively flat pavement.

Here is where I announce something I may regret. I am training for a 10K. It's on May 1st at Sunset Zoo in Manhattan. Can I actually do this? I hope so. I didn't think I could run a 5K and by the time the race came around, I was in great shape for it. I have nine weeks to get ready and I have found an 8 week training program online (from the C25K site that I used this summer/fall). It's intense, but I am going to follow it closely and see how it goes. My biggest worry is that this race is VERY hilly. Very. I was advised by someone who has done this race twice to run the coarse once a week. So, that's the plan. The program involves 3 days of running, 2 days of cross training (for me that will be walking), one day of stretching and strength training, and one day of rest. I tend to overdo it at the beginning so I am going to do exactly what this guy says to do. I'll check in here each week with progress and to keep myself on track.

Here's hoping this is a success!

2 comments:

MollyinMinn said...

You mean those pants really aren't meant to just sit around and fold laundry and watch TV? Hmmm, that must be my problem.

Seriously though, I am impressed. You can do it! Good for you!

Jean said...

Hi, Heather! When Meg and I trained for a 10 mile run a few years back, we would run in her neighborhood which is very hilly. Apparently running uphill actually helps prevent shin splints, so I would sing to myself "No-more-shin-splints! Good-bye-shin-splints!" It was the only positive thing I could think of... I HATE hills. (Ok, if I was in a bad mood, I would change the words to include a few profanities but you get the idea. :):)
YOU WILL DO AWESOME!