Saturday, June 2, 2012

8 weeks

Dillon is eight weeks old now.  He will be two months old on Tuesday.  That's hard to believe.  Our month at Children's was like a time warp.  I feel like he's only approaching his first month, not second.  We've gotten to know him more these past couple weeks and are starting to see him as Dillon and not our baby with frightening health issues.  I think about it nearly every minute of the day, but I am not as nervous at every little thing anymore either.  Lots of things still, but not everything. 

Since I last posted, he had his first follow-up appointment with endocrine at Children's Mercy Clinic in Kansas City.  His sodium levels remain stable but given his high quantity of wet diapers each day, combined with how diluted his urine is, we can conclude that he does have diabetes insipidus (DI).  The good news is that because he is an infant and taking in only liquids, his body is regulating water on its own and he doesn't need medication right now.  One doctor had a patient who self-regulated until he was 2 1/2.  Once he starts to need that hormone replacement, it will be twice a day. 

Dillon is eating so well.  He is much more interested in nursing now.  He will take the bottle happily if he is really hungry, but if he wants comfort, he wants to nurse.  He has little patience for the "let down" as he is accustomed to the milk from the bottle being there immediately.  I will often start with the bottle and then finish with nursing so he is more relaxed.  He was weighed on Thursday and he is up to 9 pounds and 1/2 an ounce!  I dare say his legs are getting a little chubby and his cheeks are filling out.  He is as cute as can be.  He gave us his first smile on Wednesday.  He smiles these huge grins in his sleep but I've yet to see one like that while he's awake.  What could he possibly be dreaming about to smile like that?  I love it!  He has outgrown the newborn diapers and the newborn onesies are starting to feel snug.  That growth hormone is doing its job!  Let's hear it for endocrine research! 

He is still sleeping well.  Depending on what time his last nightly feeding is, he gets up once or twice during the night but doesn't cry.  He just eats, snuggles a bit, and goes back to sleep.  He takes about three big naps during the day and we have plenty of alert, wake time.  He is really a good baby - so sweet.  He is fussy from 7-10 p.m. but it's not bad.  He still spits up A LOT but his thyroid levels were stable so he's absorbing what he needs to absorb.  And we'd know if he wasn't getting the hydro-cortisone that he needs. 

Anderson Cooper did a show on growth hormone this week.  I didn't see it but I belong to a parents' group on facebook and they were in an uproar about it.  There was no mention of it's necessity for kids like Dillon.  It was all about how Hollywood is using it as a new tool to stay young, full of energy, and virile. Their misuse, along with professional athletes, is causing insurance companies to question whether they want to cover growth hormone.  Without insurance, it costs thousands of dollars a month. 

The big boys are doing well.  I have to really try and get them out of the house every day or things go south pretty quickly.  We had some friends over on Friday afternoon after some cool rain spoiled park plans and that helped tremendously.  And I had Jackson run with me on Thursday night.  He loved that.  We went two miles and he ran a good mile and a half and I didn't really slow down very much.  Naturally, Andrew wanted to run with me too so we did a run/walk for about a block.

They are doing great with Dillon.  Jackson is less hands on but loves him.  Hates the crying, but loves "happy face Dillon."  Andrew is a huge helper.  I can usually redirect less than desirable behavior by asking him to get me something for Dillon or to "watch" Dillon for a minute.  He'd move heaven and earth for this baby.  It's so sweet.  He calls him Sweet Face and kisses his cheeks all the time.  He still can't get over how he is in our house and he "can hold him every single day - even Christmas and Easter and Valentine's Day and Halloween."

Andrew's quote of the day:
After seeing the mohawk I styled for him: "Oh, yeah.  This is what I wanted.  This is what I'm here for." 

Time to feed D-Man and get myself to bed.  I am playing at church tomorrow.  First Sunday back.  Real life still seems a bit surreal but it will be good to be back and I know it won't take long to get back into the swing of things behind the piano.  I went to rehearsal on Wednesday and it felt strange to think about something other than Dillon.  It will be good for me.  Healthy.


2 comments:

Kristin said...

Hey, that's great about the nursing! I'd been meaning to ask. Less pumping = more time to go about your business. All fantastic!

Mindy said...

Love that your boys are running with you! My middle and youngest go out with me sometimes. The older gets to do longer ones and then when we get home I take the younger out for a block like you did. It's great conversation time and makes my heart smile.