Sunday, November 3, 2013

Wonder



I heard about a book a few weeks ago. Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  It was published almost 2 years ago but because it's written for grades 4-7, I hadn't heard about it.  I put it on my kindle before we went to DC and read it on the plane ride home.  It is a fast read and I couldn't put it down. Go get this book now.  Here's the link to put it on your kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-ebook/dp/B0051ANPZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383538081&sr=8-1&keywords=wonder

This should be required reading for all 5th graders and all parents.  I'm reading it to the boys right now and they can't get enough. We read every night for 30 minutes minimum.  I ask questions while I'm reading to see if they are still with me and they so are.  This book will teach everyone a little bit about kindness.

Here are just a few of my favorite quotes from the book.

“I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives.” 

“Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.” 

“I actually like how doctors talk. I like the sound of science. I like how words you don't understand explain things you can't understand.” 

“My mom smiled at me. Her smile kind of hugged me.” 

“It’s not enough to be friendly. You have to be a friend.” 

And then this one.  This one makes me cry and I probably won't be able to read it out loud to the boys due to the softball sized lump in my throat, though Andrew knows when certain parts are sad and he rubs my back and kisses my arm.  He truly does.  Once he said, "Oh, that's sad.  It reminds me of Dilly."  Anyway, this paragraph refers to the main character, Auggie, and how his birth defect is said to be completely random.  

“No, no, it's not all random, if it really was all random, the universe would abandon us completely. and the universe doesn't. it takes care of its most fragile creations in ways we can't see. like with parents who adore you blindly. and a big sister who feels guilty for being human over you. and a little gravelly-voiced kid whose friends have left him over you. and even a pink-haired girl who carries your picture in her wallet. maybe it is a lottery, but the universe makes it all even out in the end. the universe takes care of all its birds.” 

Read. This. Book.

No comments: