I am.
Dillon has the flu. He tested negative for it but our doctor is sure it's flu. She said it's like testing negative for the rapid strep test but then testing positive for the longer culture. Kind of the same deal here but there's no culture to wait for. He has all the symptoms and they came on fast. Dillon was up on Thursday night from 12:00-2:30. He had a bit of a cough yesterday morning but I figured he had a little of Andrew's cold and he was fever free and acting totally normal. We went to the gym and by the time I was finished yoga and picked him up at child care, the care givers were concerned about his cough. I took one look at his eyes, saw how glassy they were, and knew he had a fever. We needed to go to Target and I knew he was not going to be happy about it but diapers, wipes and milk can't wait. Instead of his fussy self, he was half asleep in the cart. He fell asleep in the van as soon as I buckled him in his car seat and he slept at home until I woke him up almost 4 hours later. I'm glad I had the foresight to triple dose his hydrocortisone while we were at Target. He had a real fever then so I bundled him up and took him to the clinic for a flu swab. He threw up in the van on the way and when Dillon throws up when he's sick, I either panic or cry. This time I cried. Thankfully, his sugars were holding really strong and I'm positive he just vomited on the crud he's been coughing up.
Anyway, three Tamiflu prescriptions later, here we are. His temp dropped to 96 last night (Typical Dillon behavior when he's sick) and when I woke him up for meds at 6:00 this morning it was 105. Ibuprofen really works well for him though and his temp is stable now. The hydrocortisone is doing its job - sugars are good as long as he doesn't go too long without eating or drinking. The extra HC also means he's not napping today. And he's miserable. He'll get little bursts of energy and then comes right back to me, crying and wanting to be held.
And just for kicks - Andrew walked out of his room pressing his ear to his shoulder. Andrew rarely complains about pain and it's hard to keep this kid down, so if he says something hurts, I believe him. Raging ear infection in his right ear with his left ear in a close second.
So I guess it wasn't just three Tamiflu Rx. It was that plus an antibiotic, Dillon's normal monthly meds, and blood sugar test strips. NOW here we are. But here is home and NOT in the hospital and for that we are so grateful!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment