Saturday, December 22, 2007

Idle threats

It's started already. We're using Santa to negotiate good behavior. Right now if you asked Jackson what Santa says, he would tell you, "Jackson no pick your nose." We had a good laugh over that one. He can't keep his pointer fingers out of his nostrils and he especially finds comfort in this when he is in his stroller or grocery cart. So I finally said, "Santa doesn't want you to pick your nose." It's the only thing that's working. Also, Santa says, "Jackson, be nice to Roxie." Jackson was being a stinker in the bath tub yesterday and I threatened no presents if he didn't stop. He stopped, looked at me and said, "Ohhhh soooooot! Ohhhh soooooot! (oh shoot) Sorry Mama! I love you!" Wow - he's putting that together effectively.

Jackson has a new favorite word: MOVE. He says it to people in the grocery store or mall - where we seem to have spent a lot of time this week - and he says it with a good amount of irritation: MOOOVE! To anyone even remotely in front of him. It's more than a little embarrassing. It's my fault he says it because it's what I have said many time to Roxie when we're trying to get in the back door, "Roxie, move!" You mean I have to start practicing what I preach? Awwwww, maaaan...

We went to the Minneapolis Holidazzle Parade on Thursday night. A little cold, but really fun. Jackson LOVED it! A friend told me that once you've seen it, you don't need to go back for a few years, and I think that's an accurate description. It was fun but not exactly spectacular. Jackson got to see Santa in the parade so he was thrilled. Santa is the last float in the parade and in front of him are a bunch of lit-up Santa's Helpers. Jackson was yelling at them, "MOVE!" and motioning urgently for them to get out of his sight line to Santa. So sweet.

We had our own little Christmas here last night. Brian and I odered Chinese from a new place in St. Paul that was pretty good. Nothing is as good as Great Hunan in Winona (Meg, have you had their food? So good for sooo cheap!) but this was pretty good. Jackson is in a really fussy food phase so he had a piece of garlic toast. Then we opened presents - well, our presents to Jackson. Brian and I got each other a new baby for Christmas. And a mortgage, and diapers, and groceries...
Anyway, we got Jackson a Mr. Potato Head, some play dough, a Sandra Boynton book, and the DVD Happy Feet. He is thrilled with his Mr Potato Head. Thanks to my ECFE moms for the recommendation! Any advice for preventing a 2 year old from saying, "More presents?" after each gift? We're telling him to say thank you first and he does...but I'd love it if he didn't say "more?!" at all. Is this just typical toddler? Can you tell I am big on manners?

We're leaving this morning for Brian's mom and dad's house. We'll be there until Tuesday morning. Then to Winona for a couple days. Jackson's going to stay with my mom and dad until next Saturday or Sunday so we can get some work done on our basement. I need to get our baby stuff out too and clean it up. It's surely covered in dry wall dust in the basement. We haven't worked on the basement since Jackson was born, but that dust seems to linger. I am 35 weeks today...woah! Brian has to go out of town again on January 2nd - 5th. I am trying not to be nervous about that. Most likely those days will come and go and I will laugh that I ever entertained the thought that I'd have the baby that early. We have changed our mind on the baby name. I think we came up with another one though. Turns out our first choice is also the first choice of many, many, many Americans according to babycenter.com. I still love the name but we think we want something less popular. So, we went back to something we had talked about at the very beginning. I think we're both happy with this choice.

A random cute story: Brian was changing Jackson's diaper yesterday and Brian had cold hands. Jackson said, "Brrrrr Daddy...mittens!" I am amazed at how is starting to put thoughts together.

Well, I am starving and need to empty my bladder. If I am sitting down and my bladder is even a little full, the baby will press right up against it. I seriously wonder if I will need to wear Depends pretty soon. A woman in my aerobics class said she wet her pants once at the end because of that. Santa says, "Mama no pee pee in pants."

Merry Christmas!

No comments: