Thursday, June 12, 2008

Holy Sh*t!






A tornado hit Manhattan last night around 11:30. The kids and I were still in MN. We were supposed to come back to Kansas yesterday but decided to wait because of the weather in Iowa. I wish I had been here for it but I am so glad the kids weren't! My feelings about tornadoes are equal parts terror and fascination. The damage to Kansas State is about $20 million. Thank God the students were gone. The tornado has been declared an EF4. EF5 is the worst. We live about 5 blocks from where it went right through campus. We went for a walk tonight to see the damage and it is amazing. Enormous trees snapped in half or pulled out from the ground, street lamps bent over like Q-tips, windows out everywhere, you can see insulation everywhere you look. The worst damage is near Target (which is unharmed, thank God!) - a Toyota dealership is destroyed and a hardware store is demolished. It looks like it's been through a shredder.

I am home after a very long drive. Lots more to write but it will have to wait. Just wanted everyone to know that Brian is fine and so is our house. I'll post some pictures from themercury.com

No comments: