Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ready, Set, Blog!

I think I have until Andrew finishes his juice to write a post - so about 4.7 seconds.

I have had NO blog time lately. And not much energy to write when I have the time, honestly. When people hear the ages of my two boys they say, "Woah - you're busy." And they're right. Andrew only sits still if he's sleeping. And even that, as you're aware, isn't always peaceful. He's been getting up at 5:51 for about a week now. Oddly specific. Today was 6:25 so that's a little better. He's just been "off" all week. Turns out he has a boil on his butt. Seriously. (How many of you are quoting Steel Magnolias now? "You are boil on the butt of humanity.") I thought it was a pimple. It's not. And to tell you the discovery that it was not a pimple was gross is an understatement. He's going to be fine and I'm praying it won't be too uncomfortable for him to ride in his car seat for 7 hours tomorrow. Moving on.
Jackson has been as sweet as can be lately. I took him out for an ice cream date on Monday, just the two of us. He was SO proud. He said, "This is so special, Mama, because I really wanted to spend some time with you." OMG. And in the car yesterday, while I was singing along to A Grand Night for Singing, he said, "I love your voice, Mama." (This is big because he usually asks me to stop singing because I "sound froggy.") I thanked him for the compliment and he said, "Yeah, you don't sound froggy anymore. Will you sing another song?" Someone must have told him, "She's an insecure performer...compliment her singing, dude! You'll get anything you want!" In potty-training news: back to square one. We've been busy and had to go back to diapers. He is thrilled that Target is mysteriously carrying his diapers again (I told him they weren't making them anymore) and is quite content to pee and poop in them at will.

We are going to Brian's mom and dad's tomorrow. They are watching the kids for us on Saturday so we can go to St. Paul and see Legally Blonde The Musical with the Sutherlands. Our good friend from college, Barry Anderson, is in it as is another friend from my Barn Theatre days. Barry understudies the role of Emmett (the guy Elle eventually falls in love with - the male lead in the Broadway production) and got to perform the role Tuesday and Wednesday night. I am so thrilled for him that he got to do that so close to home. The Sutherlands were able to see him last night and said he was amazing. We're so proud! Barry is a class act and so talented. Success couldn't come to a nicer guy. He's the kind of guy who when asked about his professional success and adventures, shrugs if off and asks about you and your kids. That is admirable....though I am also living vicariously through him and would really like to hear every tiniest detail. I'll let you know how the show is. We're staying overnight with Peg and Rob and going back to the kids in the morning - Mother's Day. We head back to Kansas bright and early Monday morning so I can be back in time for lessons. It is going to be an exhausting trip. Please say prayers that Andrew will handle the ride better than last time. I don't know if I can handle that again.

American Idol.
What a strange week. Hard rock? Thanks for nothing, Slash. The guitarist from Guns-n-Roses was the "mentor" which is code for: I have my first solo album coming out and the general public has forgotten I exist so I need some major publicity. I knew everyone but Adam was going to be pretty bad. Allison was fine but I didn't not care for her song choice. Even Adam, while fantastic, was totally scary. I compared it to Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future when he plays that rock guitar solo and all the teens stop dancing to stare at him because they're not quite ready for what he's doing. That's how I felt. Poor Kris was bad because he has no business singing that music and he knows it. And Danny. Oh, that scream. At least he's laughing at himself. Anyway, so long Allison. You're only 16 - you'll be fine. Next week will probably be Kris' last week and then we will have the finale with the two people I wanted from the beginning: Danny and Adam. I predict Danny will win.

I met a wonderful Creative Memories consultant last week if any Manhattan readers are looking for scrapbooking resources. (Nikki?!) She is awesome and has a great set-up in her basement to see all the products and work on albums.

Better go rescue Andrew. He is in a "can't keep my hands out of my pants" stage and I swear, he's gonna hurt himself. Boys.

Sigh.

No comments: