Andrew's been hangin' out with us for 18 months now. I always expected but never heard those words "they" tell you you will here if you have an older child. Can we bring the baby back now? Jackson has had little moments of frustration with Andrew and is learning to share in what I think is a typical way...not exactly happy about it but willing to cooperate. The past couple weeks however, I've been noticing some tension in Jackson bubbling under the surface. As his attitude soured, Andrew's behavior sweetened. This only added to the problem. We had an especially sassy day yesterday. I had zero patience and Jackson was talking back to almost everything I said. Finally, I asked him to please tell me what this was all about. Why was he being so rude and disrespectful. And don't tell me it's because you miss Grandma. (that's his answer for almost everything) He burst into tears and said that he wishes Andrew wasn't here anymore. That he doesn't like how Andrew hits him all the time (Andrew is hitting a lot lately) and pulls his hair. He wishes Andrew could just go somewhere else, like Daddy's work or something. He cried and cried and cried.
This is something I'm gonna need to do some reading on. And I'd love some advice/insight from moms who've been through it. Just getting it out didn't help him. He's obviously really upset with Andrew - won't really talk to him, doesn't want him near his room, won't let him touch him, etc. While I think the stage Andrew is in is totally fun and lovable, I can see where Jackson would be irritated and jealous of the attention Andrew is getting. It's not like I can make him understand that the first 13-14 months were kind of tough with Andrew and that we're just sort of giddy over the changes in his disposition and sleep habits. I know they'll get to a stage where they will play together nicely again, but I'd like to make it a little easier on Jackson in the meantime.
Brian took Jackson out for pizza - just the two of them - when he got home from work. He said Jack just talked and talked and talked. And not toddler babble either. He talked about real stuff. At one point Brian said, "Jackson, I sure wish I could go with you and Mom and Andrew to see Grandma and Grandpa, but I have to work." Jackson said, "I know, Daddy. You do it for our family." Doesn't that just break your heart? Such a wise little guy.
Getting ready now for our drive to MN tomorrow. We have a bag of snacks, a couple movies from the library, and lots of music. We're getting pretty good at it.
Baby Stellan had a really rough, scary day yesterday. The morning was especially bad. MckMama updated Twitter often to keep people in the know. The power of prayer worked though. I thought (I think most people did, maybe even his mom) that he was going to die yesterday morning and he made it through and is now out of immediate danger. I love this baby like he is the child of a friend. I am embarrassed about that sometimes or confused by it. But then I think about why we have blogs like this...so moms can feel supported, not feel alone. And that's what we all (100's of thousands by now I bet) do for MckMama. In her case, she has people all over the world praying for her son, her family, Stellan's doctors and caregivers. We know a lot about her family and especially about Stellan. We're all very invested in his well being so I am sure I was not alone in my tears yesterday morning.
Better get myself packed for our trip. I am going to a clothing sway tonight! I've always wanted to do that and think it's a brilliant idea! Hope I get something fun and "new" to wear!
Next time, from Minnesota!
‘Tis the Season Saturday {10.03.26}
13 hours ago
1 comment:
Hey, I've been thinking about this post for a few days now... My older son has never come straight out and asked for us to bring his sister back, but I think he has definitely wanted her away from his stuff, for sure. Now that she doesn't just sit there and smile at him - they fight about toys and taking turns. She gets into his room and tears apart his train tracks. He gets frustrated, too. In fact, we noticed him starting to act out a little physically when we weren't looking, like tripping her intentionally or pushing her down, which is obviously not okay.
What we've done is two-fold, set really strong limits about behavior. It is not okay to hurt people, pull toys away, etc. We also have to put up with Avery's crying/tantrums and take things away from her, too if it's really Alex's turn. We can't give her special privileges b/c she's the baby.
Also, we keep the door to his room shut all the time and keep her out - and are spending a LOT of one-on-one time with him. Avery goes to bed one hour before him and we talk about how that's special Alex-mommy-daddy time and we play games with him that we can't play when she's awake. We've also been taking him on special errands, play excursions, etc., without his sister. It seems to have helped the "my sister is bugging me syndrome."
You sound like you are on the right track, hang in there. I'm pretty sure some sibling rivalry is totally normal and even healthy. :)
Post a Comment