Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Crisis Averted

I picked the kids up from school yesterday and we went about our usual routine when we got home - the kids got a snack and I took Roxie outside.  It was 64 degrees so I didn't bother shutting the door.  All of a sudden I hear, "Noooooooo!"  And then, "DILLON!!!!!!"  And then wailing.  I ran in the house, not sure what I'd find.  

"MOMMY!  Dillon PICKED UP JACOB and THREW HIM ON THE FLOOR!"

Gasp!  I whipped around to hide my smile because this is funny stuff.  Yes, this is real to them and sad right now but let's face it - this is hilarious and is going to be a great story someday.  I took a breath.  I turned to them and tried to reason.  "Calm down.  It's ok.  We'll write Santa a letter.  Dillon didn't do this on purpose.  He wasn't trying to be naughty and touch him.  He doesn't know the rules for the elf."  But they were crying so hard that they couldn't hear me.  So I did what any mom who likes to write would do:


I took pictures.

Please note: Dillon is crying because Jackson and Andrew were crying so hard and mad at him.  

Once they settled down, we talked about our plan.  Jackson composed a letter to Santa explaining what happened and that it was an accident and how do we get our elf his magic back?!?!

They woke up to this:   
A bandaged elf along with a nice, long letter from Santa.  Turns out, it was perfect timing.  Apparently, Jackson has been questioning Santa but after reading this letter, he "knows FOR SURE that Santa is real." Santa left instructions to check the mail box after school for some magic elf dust.  Sure enough!

They were so excited!  They each sprinkled some dust on Jacob and are hoping it does the trick.

I'm happy to report that Jacob is feeling great and went back to the North Pole to report on their (mostly) good behavior!  And now I can go back to participating in Elf on the Shelf in my usual way....barely remembering to move the darn thing.  




No comments: