Saturday, November 15, 2014

Smiling's my favorite

Brian and I took the boys to see Elf the Musical at McCain last night.  I want them to see a couple events at McCain every year and this year they happened to be within two weeks of each other.

Unfortunately, this show started at 8:00 so they were already tired by the time the overture started.  With the help of skittles and gummi bears they powered through the two and a-half hour show. To quote Jackson, "I don't mean to be rude, but that wasn't my favorite."  Andrew really liked it.  Jack thought it was okay.  Brian and I.....meh.  The sets were great and the choreography was great and the ensemble was great and most of the voices were great and the live pit was almost always great....but the songs and book?  Not great.  I feel for any actor who plays Buddy because if you love the movie Elf, you're probably not going to love the stage Buddy.  He was nothing like Will Ferrell which was probably a smart choice but Will Ferrell is who makes the movie so enjoyable.  And don't go expecting to see everyone's favorite Angry Elf.  There's no Miles Finch in this production.  I told Brian I wondered if I would have enjoyed it more if I'd seen it closer to Christmas.  He didn't think so but I may have felt a little more "sparklejollytwinklejingley." And I'd clean up the language for a show that's geared towards kids.  Lots of hells, damns, and gods plus one bitchy and one ass.  Certainly didn't add to anything so just nix it.  All it's going to get them is lots of complaints to theatre managers once the show leaves.

Here's a clip of one of the numbers.  This isn't the Buddy we saw but it's the same production.  Clever and fun for a minute but 2 1/2 hours of this just wasn't working for me.  The sets really were impressive for a one night stop tour.  These people are working hard.  


Despite my mixed review, it was a fun way to kick off the holiday season and we woke up today to snow.  Jackson's basketball games were cancelled and the bigs have been playing outside all morning.  Jackson is wearing my boots, by the way.  His feet have grown three sizes in a year's time.  No wonder they hurt.  He's a size 6 which is equal to a woman's size 8, my size.  There's barely enough snow to show up in the grass but they don't care.  And neither do I!  Brian left this morning for Portland so I'm very much in favor of playing outside as much as possible today!  Dillon and I are staying warm inside.  I made muffins and am having coffee with egg nog and we're watching Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas.  I love that cartoon.  I'm almost in the mood to put up our tree today.  Maybe just the tree and lights.  No ornaments.  Kansas doesn't usually get this cold and snowy in mid-November so everyone's in the Christmas mood.

I'm so looking forward to my McCain events coming up in December.  Julie and I are seeing Yo-Yo Ma on the 3rd and The King's Singers on the 19th.  Both events are such a thrill.





And this one just because it's worth your time to get quiet and listen to this:

No comments: