Jackson and I just returned from an ECFE outing to a nursing home in St. Paul. One of the moms organized it. On Monday we made an art project for the residents and today we delivered them and stayed for a visit. Jackson and I chatted with a woman named Pella who came to the U.S. from Norway in 1952. We talked to several women. They are funny - very willing and quick to share funny details of there life. Like, "I have five kids but only one of them visits me." Or "I hate cheerios. I think they taste like cattle feed." One woman thought Jackson was a girl and kept saying so. Another thought he was "such a nice baby" and kept telling me what a great job I was doing. Precious words. The employees of the residence said that the women would be talking about it all day. That's nice to know. It's hard to tell with 2 year olds if they are helping or making things crazier. The kids were really comfortable. One mom thought ahead and brought a big box of crackers and cups. Gold fish crackers are always a good distraction.
I am enjoying another egg nog latte while I write this. This one was made really well...the perfect combination of de-caf coffee and egg nog. Jackson is snug on the couch watching Barney. And my hormones have given me a break so far today. It's a good day. Jackson is being sweeter than sweet today. (Knock on wood) He responds to everything I say with an enthusiastic "Oh, sir (sure) Mama!" or "OK-AAAY Mama!" His Aunt Angela is coming tonight to watch him and he is very excited.
Roxie tried to run away again last night. Brian had to open the front door for something and Roxie ran right out, down the sidewalk, and into the street. Cars drive SO fast on our street. We are really lucky she was fine. Brian calls her "my little runaway" now but I don't think it's funny. I would rather she was killed than run away. That sounds horrible but I couldn't handle knowing she was out somewhere and scared or being mistreated. I think she is just pissed at all these kids in our house! :) I keep telling her that in a few years they will calm down and she will enjoy the extra attention. She just has to wait it out.
I have been making a list of all the little projects I can get done before the baby arrives. It makes me feel a little better getting some of the clutter under control. On Monday I cleaned our bedroom closet and made a pile of clothes to donate. Yesterday I cleaned out a hallway closet that was full of gift bags from when Jackson was born. Now our vacuum cleaner has a home and it's surprising how happy that makes me. I also cleaned out our entry way closet - separated hats and mittens and gloves and such. Also made a pile of coats to donate. Next on my list is to organize our office downstairs. I would also like to clean the laundry room, but it's in the basement and I just KNOW there are about 1000 house centipedes in there waiting to freak me out.
It's hard to believe it's Thanksgiving a week from tomorrow! We are spending it with Brian's extended family. It's their turn. That is great and I am grateful for time Jackson gets to spend with his great-grandparents, but I hate to miss a Ryan Thanksgiving. One of the deals you make when you get married, I guess. Sharing holidays. We are going to shop the next day - a long standing Ryan tradition. We did some serious shopping at Kohls this past weekend. They were practically giving stuff away. We got Brian a suit, some dress pants, 2 pairs of cords, a shirt, a sweater, and a set of flannel sheets for about $200 total.
Well, Barney is over and it is lunch time. Jackson wants some "grape sauce." Translation: grape juice.
Have a good day!
‘Tis the Season Saturday {10.03.26}
13 hours ago
1 comment:
Dang, wish I'd known about the Kohls sale -- Joel needs a new suit like nobody's business. That's a dumb phrase, especially in reference to a suit.
Is your mom's maiden name Ryan? I don't think I knew that. Funny! I was like, hmm, I don't remember Heather being at my family gatherings in the past...
Does your ECFE do "field trips" a lot? We just went to the apple orchard in Sept but that's been about it. The nursing home is a great idea.
Post a Comment