Friday, November 9, 2007

Christmas Time is Here

I did it. I had a Fa La Latte yesterday afternoon. You know what? It wasn't as good as I remembered it to be. It was good - don't get me wrong - but it wasn't like, "YES! This is what I was waiting for!" good. That is a positive thing because it didn't leave me craving another one as soon as it was finished. It is really starting to feel like Christmas time...a little early I suppose, but with the show, I am in a Christmas state of mind so I don't mind. I've been listening to all my Christmas music for a good month now because of the show. Michael W. Smith has a new Christmas CD out that I would like to get. His are always really good. I was thinking I should write a list of my Top Ten Christmas CDs in case you're looking for some good ones. I listen to a lot of Christmas music, so I think myself to be a good judge of the Yuletide Tunes. Here are my picks in no particular order. FYI - it has started snowing while I am making this list and Jackson is in his PJ's on the couch looking out the window. He is shouting "I see 'em! I see 'em!" This is too perfect.

1. Michael W. Smith "Christmas" - this is one of my all-time favorites. I am not the biggest fan of his voice, but his Christmas music is great! A lot of original and choral pieces.
2. Amy Grant "Home For Christmas" - traditional, great songs
3. Amy Grant "A Christmas Album" - one of my first Christmas CDs. Amy Grant reminds me of Christmas growing up. I know we decorated the house and listened to this CD. It is a good warm-fuzzy CD.
4. Mariah Carey "Merry Christmas" - this one reminds me of college. I don't listen to Mariah Carey otherwise, but this is a fantastic Christmas CD. Really upbeat and fun! The Christmas that this CD came out was the one Christmas that Brian and I weren't together for. Freshman year of college. The break-up period. I was dating this guy who was OBSESSED with Mariah Carey. He kissed me during the O Holy Night track on this CD. It's okay to talk about because he has been openly gay since about 1999. :)
5. Art Garfunkel "Animal's Christmas" - a gorgeous CD! It also features Amy Grant and a boy choir. If you like original pieces, you should check this out. It's the Nativity Story and features the animals in the stable. It's just beautiful. It reminds me of Christmas's with my aunts and cousins on the Ryan side. Particularly, Christmas in the farm house where they grew up. I first heard this music when my Aunt Carol still lived there.
6. The Blenders - "When it Snows" - great a cappella music by a group from the Twin Cities. (originally from South Dakota) Great songs and perfect harmonies.
7. Carpenters "Christmas Portrait" - kind of self-explanatory, how can you go wrong with the Carpenters? Traditional and beautifully sung. Also some great piano tracks.
8. Josh Groban "Noel" - this one is new this year. Nice arrangements of traditional songs and he sounds great. A very touching version of I'll Be Home For Christmas that is a tribute to men and women in Iraq.
9. Suzie and Matt Kendziera "One More Christmas" - I went to college with Matt and Suzie. Suzie was a bridesmaid in our wedding and also sang "How Beautiful" if you were there. They recently moved to the Twin Cities to lead music at a church in Edina. Suzie wrote almost all the music on this CD and it is in my top three favorite Christmas CDs ever. It's so wonderful and I am so proud to say that it's my friend's music!
10. Jane Monheit "The Season" - my favorite singer so how could I leave out her Christmas CD? My favorite track is "This Christmas."

There you have it. Now you have no excuse for listening to The Beach Boy's Christmas ever again.

I have more to write about but Jackson is calling. More later.

No comments: