Wednesday, December 17, 2008

White Christmas

I woke up yesterday morning to snow! In all, Manhattan maybe got about 5 inches. I was snowed in though. The plows didn't get to our cul-de-sac until 3:30 a.m. this morning...I was up with Andrew so I saw them. My little car only made it half-way up our hill. Brian was our driver yesterday and took Jackson to school and me to the Salvation Army to deliver presents, and to Gaia for my brow wax. After that we stayed put. Brian got Jackson some snow boots and a sled so they had fun sledding down the hills by our house when Brian got home from work. I am hoping I can get out today because I need to get one more present and some food for our family Christmas tomorrow night.

We have our first maintenance issue with our renter. There's a toilet problem. Thanks to our awesome Handy-Man Joel, it is being taken care of. I am SO grateful for him....and to you, Meg, because I'm sure dealing with our toilet is totally what you needed in the middle of Christmas Show rehearsals this week. He also seems to know that I worry endlessly and gives me details in the calmest, most upbeat way. I had been totally able to forget we still own a house in MN until yesterday. Well, other than the mortgage payment every month.

We visited Santa at the mall on Friday. Jackson was very excited to see him and even sat on his lap! He asked for "a purple drum, a trombone, a tuba, a trumpet, and cymbals." Santa thought that was funny. Andrew sat next to Santa and eyes him suspiciously the whole time. The best part? The camera was down so we got to use our own and take all the pictures we wanted. We're so cheap. I will post them later today. After the Santa visit we took a horse and carriage ride around downtown Manhattan. How's that for small town charm? It was beautiful - about 45 degrees, downtown is all lit up. It was very fun.

Saturday night we had a little Christmas party at our house with Kate, Anne and John, Jen and her 2 kids, and Becca and Von. Jen, Becca and Von are all in the army. I've said this before, but I just love hearing about that life. I know nothing about it and fight it so interesting. I mean that in a completely respectful way...I am just curious about what that job is like. They are in the JAG Office. The party was very fun and made us feel good that we have developed friendships with these people. I felt like a jerk though when Becca, Kate, and Jen showed up with gifts for everyone. I love doing that kind of stuff and would of if I'd thought that's what we were going to do. I guess I am used to Christmas parties with theatre people and we don't have any money to buy presents for everyone. I was feeling horrible for about a day and a half. But then I thought, when I get a gift for someone else, I do not expect one in return or feel hurt if they don't give one. I give a gift because it feels good to me and to the other person. So I decided to give myself the same courtesy and just enjoy the gifts I received. Becca gave us the book "The Reader" and Kate gave us all "Twilight." We all met at a book club so we all enjoy reading. We're going to read "The Reader" and then see the movie. And Kate has been trying to get us all to read Twilight since August. Becca also gave us each a book journal - a place to write down what we've read and make notes about it. This is a gift idea I am going to steal because I think it's such a great idea. I'm always trying to remember the names of the books I've read. My Grandma used to write down what she read in a tiny spiral notebook. She'd write the title and author and a little note about it.

Sunday night Brian and I took Jackson to a K-State Men's Basketball game, courtesy of Anne and John. They have great season tickets...we were in row 9, behind the basket and off to the left. They played some school I've never heard of and beat them by almost 60 points. It was fun to watch the players show off a little. We also had seats very near the pep band which was obviously the highlight of the game for Jackson. Thanks to Kate for babysitting Andrew for us.

So, now it's the middle of the week already. We are having our little family Christmas tomorrow night. We're having a nice dinner and then opening gifts. We leave for Minnesota on Saturday and that gives Jackson a day to play with his toys.
Oh! We got the BEST gift in the mail this week from the Sutherlands! It's called The Elf on the Shelf. If you know someone with little kids, get this gift for them! It's a little old-fashioned-looking felt elf that sits wherever you put him. It comes with a beautiful book about the elf and how he works for Santa as his "eyes", watching if you've been good, and then reports back to Santa. You have to name him right away (Jackson came up with Jacob, after a boy in his class that he really likes. This was our third try. His first suggestion was "little girl" after the "little girl" I told him about that we bought gifts for through the salvation army. His second choice was Joseph, also another boy in his class. I said no to that one...I know he wasn't thinking "Mary and Joseph" but I was.) Anyway, the parent moves the elf to a knew location every day and it's up to the kids to find him. They can't touch him though because he is magic. They can talk to him and tell him what they want to tell Santa. It's just darling and Jackson LOVES it! Jacob the Elf was sitting on our mantle last night and this morning Jackson found him in his stocking and was so excited. Thanks, Peg! I love it as much as he does!

Time to get the kids fed. I'll try and post pictures later today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two things-
1) I love that Peg sent that to you! I saw it and thought about it but didn't really take the time to see what it was about. Maybe when I'm a mom someday I'll be better at those things =)
2) I can't wait for you to read Twilight! I'm officially obsessed. I'll bring home the second one for you to read because one you read it, you'll want the next. I'm ordering 3 and 4 online because I heard they don't come out in paperback until May. So I'm splurging? Happy Christmas to me? Again? =)

Unknown said...

Ohh, do not worry for a MOMENT about the effect your toilet had on our family -- truly, it was barely the teeniest of blips on my radar screen this week! I honestly don't even know whether it's been taken care of... err, has it?

Now, Joel wanting to go out for a drink with his work friends on opening night... much, much larger blip. >:( A Blop, perhaps.