A lot of us have been remembering where we were 9 years ago today when our lives were shaken up and all former sense of security was lost. My voice student remembers and she was in second grade at the time. She remembers her mom told her they had to go to church that night. My brother-in-law remembers that his infant son looked at the television and started to cry as the second plane hit the tower. I was about to have my last day of summer stock at the Barn Theatre in Augusta, MI. I was enjoying my daily bowl of cereal on the couch when I noticed Matt Lauer looked awfully serious that morning. Many of the actors I worked with that summer lived in NYC so they were especially grief stricken. We spent the day trying to finish up the work that needed to be done to close the theatre. I remember my dad calling because he needed to hear my voice and he said he wished I was home in MN. I got my belly button pierced, something we had planned to do all summer on our last day. We had a farewell dinner for the remaining company members before we left the next morning. We weren't quite ready to face the reality of what was happening outside our little theatre shell. The next day I went home and was punched in the stomach with the grief. This is the first year I woke up and felt like this was a day I could find something to...
Celebrate. The remembering is so important and I will never stop remembering. But it's as important to celebrate. Celebrate our freedoms and the lives lost to protect them. So we went to a football game. Can't get much more American than college football. K-State had a fantastic victory over Missouri State Univ. and they celebrated with a fireworks display over the stadium after the game. The highlight was an explosion of red, white, and blue perfectly time to R-O-C-K in the USA. Awesome. There was an adorable little blonde, probably about 3 years old, dancing her heart out in the bleachers. Everytime Bruce sang, "Rockin' in the USA!" she did a deep twist. It was fantastic. Celebrate!
Believe. Looking at the faces of my two little boys I have to, HAVE TO believe we are raising them in a joyful, kind, loving world. I have to believe that they will be safe and will one day live in a peaceful world. It's become so it's almost hard to even imagine it, but I keep praying.
1 comment:
My friend from college who lost her husband when the second plane hit just got engaged last week. Has been a long nine years and I am glad she found some happiness again. Can't imagine having such a private grief linked with such a public event. I know she left the country around the time of the first anniversary, could not handle all the coverage.
Post a Comment