Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Low Budget Christmas

I made and achieved the goal of not spending much on Christmas presents for the boys this year. Money is tight with the baby coming and they are getting lots of lovely, generous things from other family members plus both boys have birthdays in January. Everything they "want" is just a variety of what they already have so I really tried to keep it simple. I was feeling very proud of myself until tonight when Jackson said, "Remember how last year you gave me that huge lego set for Christmas? Is it going to be like that again this year?" If a board game is the same as a huge lego set (that I got for 50% off at walmart or he wouldn't have gotten any lego set so huge), then yes, it will be just like last year. Oh well, once he sees the drum set he's getting from my Mom and Dad, all thoughts of board games will be long forgotten. Because Jackson wants one, Andrew thinks he's getting one, too. He's not. I told him, "You know, I think you need to be at least five to get a drum set." He insists that, "No, I can handle a drum set! If the baby is sleeping, I can BANG on the cymbal to wake her (still not quite grasping that she is actually a HE) up!" NO DRUM SET FOR ANDREW!

3 comments:

julie said...

I can get you a great deal on a slightly used recorder for Andrew! Fit perfectly in a stocking...

Kristin said...

Andrew is as awesome as Dooce. And way to go on two fronts:

1. It seems you have COMPLETELY your Christmas shopping (show-off!).

2. Sticking to a budget.

I'm planning to do the same - and definitely keeping careful track of what the grandparents say they're buying for the kids! I need to start researching inexpensive fillers to put under the tree, though!!

Kristin said...

Or, you know, COMPLETELY FINISHED!