Saturday, October 19, 2013

DC Trip Day 3

Monday.  Monday I set my alarm for 8:00 and at 10:00 I actually got up.  Glorious, glorious sleep.
We got some coffee and yogurt, grabbed a cab because MY FEET and went to Arlington.  It was beautiful and powerful and really quite something.  Everyone should see it.  I don't want to say that something was my "favorite" in a cemetery, but to see gravestones for soldiers from the Civil War is pretty incredible. And of course the changing of the guard is amazing.  And we saw JFK's flame though they are doing some renovations and I don't think it is the same one that's usually burning.














We walked across Memorial Bridge because I wanted to check and see if the Lincoln Memorial might possible be still open....and.....
It was!!!

I practically ran up those steps.  It was thrilling.  It was everything I wanted it to be and had imagined it would be.  It is so enormous and powerful and beautiful and the view....oh my God, the view.  Just a beautiful day.  And everyone was so happy to be there.  Not making it a big deal, not protesting, just happy to be there.  It was the highlight of the trip for me.
Ceiling above Lincoln




Just incredible, isn't it?

Sitting on the steps.






We then walked to the Korean War Memorial which is really something.  It's just haunting, almost frightening. 

Then we walked (and yes, I really thought my feet might be dead by this point) to the Jefferson Memorial.  That one remained closed to the public and was guarded by three very cranky looking policemen.  I don't blame them.

And by this time it was necessary to walk until we could get a cab to take us to a late lunch.  We ate at Good Stuff Eatery, thanks to Megan's suggestion. It's Michelle Obama's favorite place to get a burger.  Brian had the 'Bama Burger.  I had the Michelle Melt (turkey burger, of course).  Brian had a caramel shake and I had two real cokes and enjoyed every bit of it.  Because we still were not finished with this day.  




THEN we walked around the Capitol building.  Are you exhausted?  I know.  We saw everything.  It was beautiful and just HUGE.  And desolate.  Government shut down = no employees, empty parking lots, no traffic, roomy sidewalks.  It made DC seem easily manageable.
No one's keeping me out!

Supreme Court

Superman in front of Capitol.  Run in there and re-open the government, would ya?


Somehow we found the will to walk back to our hotel after this day.  On our way back we stopped and got souvenirs for the boys.  And then I overheard a guy say something about the best meal of his life.  I stopped and asked him where.  He told me but then his friend said, if you want something closer, try Founding Farmers.  That sounded like something Brian would like so we did made late reservations for dinner.  I can only describe the meal there as a religious experience.  I think Brian saw God in the pot roast.  It was truly the best pot roast I have ever had.  And the restaurant was really cool.  I modern vibe with all these rustic elements.  I would absolutely go back there.  


Do you feel the need to make the sign of the cross?  You should.  It was that good.

My salmon and risotto was delicious but not as good as Harry's.

Carrot cake and vanilla ice cream with butterscotch for dessert. 
We did not finish the cake.  It weighed more than our dog.

A short walk back to the hotel and I was out like a light.  Another fantastic day.





1 comment:

Kristin said...

I think that the cake weighed more than the dog says a lot more about Roxie than it does about the cake.