Today was Jackson's First Communion. The day started out with a huge thunderstorm and citywide flood warnings. By 1:00 the rain had stopped and the sun came out and it was another gorgeous day. Jackson did a great job. He wore a suit (Is it just me or this kid born to wear a suit?) felt pretty special. He brought up the gifts and the class sang a song. We've been talking about his First Communion for a year. He and I helped with the reception after last year's sacrament. There was cake for the families and he didn't get to have any. He's been waiting for that cake for a year, people. Today was the day.
When the time came to get in line for communion, I was fussing a little with his suit and trying not to cry (those kids are all so sweet) when he whispers to me, "I'm just wondering. Is the stuff just for people getting first communion or for everyone?" I said, "What stuff?" He said, "The eating stuff." I said, "This host?" He said, "No. The cake." OMG. "Jackson, I think you're supposed to be focusing." He says, "No, I just want to know quick. Does everyone get to eat the cake or just me?" "We all get to eat the cake, Jackson." Then, "OK, so in two years when Andrew has first communion, I can have cake then too?" At this point Brian leans in an suggests he focus on what's happening. He does. And then to me, "Dillon's too?" You'd think we never give this child sweets. Just not enough cake, apparently.
After communion, we're kneeling and he leans in and says, "Are we almost to the fun part?" You can guess what the fun part is: cake.
It's too bad that they served cookies at the reception. Seriously.
We went home for dinner. Jackson had requested baked ham and carrots and roles and Orange Leaf for dessert. Though he didn't ask for ham, he asked for pig. WTH? Then at dinner he asked if this piece was the "butt". Did he think we just put a chunk of pig in the crock pot? Tears of laughter.
When he opened his gifts, he found that my aunt Carol had sent him some money. He lifted it up excitedly and said, "Twenty dollars?!" And then he handed it to me and said, "Here, Mom. This is for you to give to the people that you're getting money for when you walk in Kansas City with Dillon."
Cue the tears all around the room. Oh, Jackson. You're a good kid.
After Orange Leaf we played outside for a little bit and then it was time for bed. On the way into the house, Jackson said to me, "Mom, do you know what I learned today?" Expecting a precious piece of 2nd grade wisdom, I said, "What did you learn, Jack?" "I learned how to pee without undoing my belt and only unzipping my zipper."
Aaaaaaaaaand scene.







4 comments:
Oh this one made my day. Love you guys!
I see that you get your cute sassy dress from your mom!
I hope your making this blog into a book because I love your hilarious documenting of these moments and your kids, they will love reading this, I do:)
Oh my, lots of firsts today! Hilarious, but such a good kid!
Laughing so hard. And what's with no cake?!? They had cake all three times with my kids!!
Post a Comment