Nine days ago Dillon had his second birthday. Though if you asked him, he'd tell you he turned two a few weeks before that. He is owning it and wearing it well. He has picked up a couple two-word phrases and his most frequently used is, "Mama, GO!" Also, "Mama, NO!" Oh - and "excuse me" which comes in handy since his new favorite thing is burping. Tiny little burps with a smile.
I woke up on the morning of his birthday and knew it was going to be a tough day. It kind of snuck up on me. I thought I was going to be fine this year but then the memories of Dillon's birth just came flooding back. I had a little time to myself in the morning and had a big sob that I'd like to say made me feel better but it really didn't. It was just a rough day. However, there's nothing like a three hour road trip with a toddler who hates road trips to bring you back into the moment. We'd planned a trip to the Omaha zoo to celebrate his birthday. Thankfully, the zoo was worth the three hour drive that felt like six. We had a fun night at the hotel, stayed at the Embassy Suites which really impressed Jackson and Andrew, thank you Priceline. Dillon was less enthusiastic about the animals than I predicted, but the gorillas? He was mesmerized.
So, it was a great birthday weekend after-all. Dillon has come a long way in two years. Our life is about so much more than his diagnosis now which is an enormous blessing. I'll never forget where we started but it's become much more fun to enjoy our present.



No comments:
Post a Comment