Thursday, March 26, 2009

It takes a village

Woah. I woke up in a mood today. I stayed up much too late watching Twilight(more on that later) last night and I feel like I am back to square one in terms of Andrew's nightly sleep habits. Last night while I listened to him scream bloody murder...and that's exactly what it sounds like - I wish you could hear it. He takes a big breath and screams like someone is in his room trying to kill him. Then he cries for a bit, takes another big breath and screams. Anyway, last night I was imagining all kinds of horrible things - that the police would show up because the neighbors could hear him screaming and thought we were hurting or neglecting him. Or that my inability to get Andrew to sleep will manifest itself into horrible behavioral problems when he's older. Andrew got two molars this week and we took major steps back in terms of sleeping. He'd been doing pretty good for a few days. For a few days. What a joke. He's 14 months old for crying out loud. Literally. I am sick of having to talk about it. I am sick of wondering what he's so dang mad about. I am sick of laying in bed wondering what I am doing wrong.

Moving on.

My parents were here for a few days. They left yesterday morning. Every time they leave I just feel so lonely all over again. It feels so wrong to be living this far away from our families. And then I think about how people all over the world do this and they are managing just fine. But I don't feel like I am managing just fine. I want to be closer to them and I really miss my sister. We did have a great time while they were here even though it flew by. They got here Saturday evening. Thankfully, the weather on Saturday and Sunday was great so we got to enjoy a little outside time. On Monday my Dad and I got to work doing a little mini-facelift on a couple rooms in the house. He removed the wallpaper border from the bathroom upstairs...took 8 hours. He is my hero. While he did that I painted the guest room in the basement with the leftover paint from my studio. I love how a $24 gallon of paint can make 2 rooms look instantly new. I also got new bedding for the guest room courtesy of my mom. Pictures to follow. It looks so great and is just waiting for Becca to come and relax in it! On Tuesday we painted the upstairs bathroom a lovely "blanket brown." My mom also treated me to new towels and a shower curtain. It is a new room. I would like to get a shelf for the bathroom and a mirror for the guest room. The Junior League (I think) is having a big thrift sale in a couple weeks and I will see if I can find a mirror there. Anyway, my parents left Wednesday morning. Jackson said to me, "Mama, when we go to Grandma and Grandpa's at Easter, then will you be happy?" He is so tender.

Becca comes to visit on Sunday and I am really looking forward to that trip! This is her first visit to Kansas. I am hoping the girls can get together and take her out.

Hmmmm, what else? I booked another wedding in June through church. I will singing AND playing. I'm told it's a simple service with just a couple songs. Have I mentioned that the head of the entomology department's wife is opening a piano bar on this end of town? It's going to be called G's Piano Bar...I think. G's something-or-other. Her name is Glenda...thus the G. Though the G also represents the G-Clef. It's going to be a casual place with bar food and nightly entertainment. She has asked me to be on her list of singers/pianists. It opens in August. Nothing contractual or anything yet....but that will be something fun to look forward to. And I have fun ideas about having my MN singer-friends sing there too.

Oh! Twilight! Really disappointed in the movie. Couldn't they find anyone who could act? Aside from Edward, I thought everyone was really bad. Had to constantly remind myself that a 32 year old mom probably wasn't the target demographic but still. None-the-less I will watch the next one. Edward was pretty good. And in my mind the Cullens were all so, so beautiful and stylish. The actors picked did not live up to my imagination.

Two new food favorites at our house:
1. Jumbo Rice Krispies. They are a perfect snack and have a touch of honey in them. Andrew loves them.
2. Sun Butter. Sunflower Seed Butter. Tastes really, really good on toast with a little honey. If you like sunflower seeds you will like this. Best part: no peanuts!

No American Idol review this week as I didn't know it was on last night. I swear Seacrest said, "See you in two weeks" last week because the President spoke on Tuesday. So I missed it. I am looking forward to Grey's Anatomy tonight to find out just what kind of mysterious disease Izzie has!

No comments: