Friday, September 5, 2014

What feels different?

Oh!  I know!  I'm not sweating!

It's been about 1000 degrees since the kids started school and suddenly, today it's fall.  It feels fantastic.  I am ready to not carry a sweaty, cranky two year old from the van to school every afternoon.  Give me some crisp air and a sweater!

The big boys started flag football this week. I want them to love it and have fun but I also wouldn't mind if they decide football isn't their thing and that they'd both rather be on the cross country team.  This isn't tackle football yet so it really is great exercise and the threat of head injury is minimal but the pressure to start boys in tackle football at a young age is strong.  It won't be allowed at our house though so they will have to be satisfied with chasing a flag for a while.  Brian is head coach of Andrew's team and is assistant coaching Jackson's. He's loving it and the boys love having him there.  AND guess who doesn't have to load Dillon up in the van to get the boys to practice?  We all win!

I started teaching again this week after a three month break.  I'm happy to get back at it - I love my students - and this semester's schedule allows me to get the kids ready for bed every night.  Wednesdays and Thursdays are busy but since we are no longer recording a CD at church this fall, things won't be too hectic on my end.  I'm on the planning committee for a gala at McCain but even that won't be too time consuming in the fall.

The bigs are slowly getting used to the school schedule but I think it's been a rather rude awakening for Andrew.  He misses the fun and ease of kindergarten.  He loves to read though and really likes his teacher.
Dillon still misses having his brothers around all day.  He asks for them frequently and I have to make a point to avoid driving by school unless we're going to pick them up.  Dillon's new favorite toys are Jackson's old John Deere tractors and the bigs' mini pool table.  I know - of all the toys....  This thing will hold his attention for so long.  I think I'll probably be able to teach him his colors using the tiny pool balls.  Dillon's speech is really improving.  Not that you'd know it if you ask him to talk to you - then he clams up - but if it's on his own accord, he will talk and talk and talk.  And little by little we are able to understand more of what he says.


We also kicked off the K-State football season last weekend.  We were able to get two tickets so Brian took Andrew this time.  I like to go but the boys love it so I'm happy to stay home with Dillon.  I get to put my purple on and hang out at the tailgate for a couple hours and then watch the game at home.  Works out just fine for Dillon and me.  




I found this gem from a football game circa 2009.   

Dillon's up from his nap.  I have a sinking feeling he may be inching towards dropping it.  Lord, please no.  He's skipped two completely in the past two weeks and when he does nap, they are getting shorter.  Mama is not ready.  



1 comment:

AR said...

Noooo! Naps are so precious!!! I haven't been able to get DBug to nap since May of 2013! Miraculously, she still naps daily at Debbie's.