Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas Wrap-up




Do my loved ones in MN want to hear that while you are suffering in below zero temps, we are enjoying 51 degrees? ;) I thought it time to sit down and type up our Christmas details before I forget them. We had a great trip home. We were gone for about 11 days so we had a good chunk of time to spend with each side. I am happy to report that Jackson was on his best behavior during present opening. I talked to him before and said that when we open presents we just say "Thank you!" and not "More presents!" He looked at me and said in his sweetest voice, "I know, Mama! I should say, 'Can I have some more presents, please?'" Note exactly what I meant.
We spent Christmas Eve with Brian's family and then went to Winona Christmas morning. Andrew did not sleep well while we were away, so I was pretty wiped out by then. The boys (and us) had a great Christmas and now have enough toys to last an eternity. Good thing they have birthdays this month...it's good we have extra room in this house. It's time to go through their old toys and give some away. I meant to do that before Christmas but never got to it.

I went to a high-school party on the evening of the 26th. I was nervous about it as it was with people I hadn't seen in about 5 years, but it ended up being really, really fun. I love when people surprise you...I enjoyed seeing how we've all become more comfortable with ourselves since our 10 year reunion in 2004, myself included.

You'll notice that there in *one* guy in the picture. That's an accurate representation of our class. I graduated with 48 people and 8 of them were guys.

We took Jackson to his first movie while we were in Winona. We went to The Tale of Despereaux. It was about 1/3 cute and 2/3 weird and strangely violent. In toddler terms anyway. I had to distract Jackson a lot and make up stories about what was really going on...that rat is just tickling the lady not trying to eat her. Ewww.

We got home on Tuesday evening and had great weather for the ride home. We spent the next two days doing a whole lotta nothin. We had a wild and crazy New Year's Eve. I had to nap for an hour mid-evening to make it until midnight. Brian worked on my lap-top all night and I plowed through book three of the Twilight series. (More on that in a minute) We paused at midnight for a NYE kiss and then went back to what we were doing before. Hot, huh? We tried to watch the replay of the Times Square countdown but the Topeka news cut in at about 15 seconds until the New Year to show the live countdown in Manhattan, KS. Our Manhattan has a huge party near campus (about 12,000 people attend) with a B-list band and their own ball drop. It's this lit up apple and it slides down a few feet. If it had a sound effect it would be a slide whistle. Hilarious. We laughed really hard and thought it was an appropriate end to our evening.

So: Twilight. OMG. It took me a long time to give in and read the first book. I was convinced that I would never like a book about vampires. I never see any vampire related movies...it's not my thing. However, Kate got me the book for Christmas and once I finished my "real book" (The Reader) I reluctantly picked up Twilight. And didn't put it down. Between Dec. 23 and Jan. 2nd, I read books one, two, and three. I started sweating when I didn't have book four and then my friend Becca sent it to me on e-mail! (Obviously, she is as obsessed as I am. She needed book four on Christmas Day and could only get in online) Seriously, these books put you in a vampire-coma. It took me a while when I started the first one to just accept that the writing is really juvenile, but once you get into the story you will be hooked. Do yourself a favor: clear out a few days and read them all! I haven't seen the movie yet but plan to after I've read all the books. I've heard that the movie isn't nearly as good as the books (isn't that always the case?) and that if you haven't read the book you probably won't like the movie.

I feel like there was more to say but I can't think of anything else. One last Jacksonism:

I stretched a huge stretch and yawn this morning.
Jackson: what are you doing, Mama?
Me: just stretching.
Jackson: you need yoga.

No comments: