Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My First Blog

Good morning all. Here it is - my first blog posting. Barney is on t.v. so I think I have about 20 minutes to mess around with this. He doesn't really inspire great writing, but really, you take what you can get in terms of uninterrupted computer time.

My friend Meg (lucypants.blogspot.com) is the writer of an awesome blog that inspired me to do this. I am not nearly the writer she is, but I enjoy it. Besides, I am sick of myspace and I don't really understand facebook. This blog serves no purpose other than to share my thoughts on life, mothering, family, and probably theatre. The title of my blog site is "Sweatpants and a Mini Van." It's a quote from a designer on my favorite reality show, "Project Runway." Laura was a designer last season who had, like, five wild kids but was this polished, no-way-you-had-five-kids thin, Calvin Klein chic, totally-together woman. She said in one episode, "It's a slippery slope to sweatpants and a minivan." Now, I don't claim to be any of the things she is. I only have one kid (until the end of January) and he's not even wild. I am mostly polished, but not ultra-thin, I have curly hair with a mind of its own and I can't work a flat iron, my style is more eclectic and there's nothing silk, linen, or cashmere in my closet, and I only attempt to be partially together. I also don't have anything against sweatpants or minivans. I can often be seen in yoga pants and if we had room in our garage, I'd happily drive a minivan. However, I get what she means - when you're a Mom, you're trying to hold on to a little of who you were before you had your wonderful kiddos. Trying to still see a glimpse of the woman who not only washed her hair every day but used a hair dryer. The woman who used to get her eyebrows done every four weeks. The woman who wore a thong and had a flat stomach. The woman who spent most nights at rehearsal for one show or another. The woman who could stay up past 10:30. Now I see a woman who lets her hair air dry, is dangerously close to having a mono-brow, who will never wear a bikini in public again, and can barely make it through the 10:00 news. But, I also see a woman enjoying a peace and contentment she's never known. A woman happy to forgo new shoes to buy another pack of diapers. A woman with her priorities securely in place and living a good life.

Well readers, Barney is over and Jackson is putting Kix between the cushions of the couch. My time is up. Until next time.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WELCOME Heather! I was wondering what the story was behind "sweatpants and a minivan." :) Thank you for the nice compliments and I'm so excited you're in my blogosphere!!